If you have an evaporative cooler, or are looking into installing one in your home, you probably have some questions about it. Below are some of our frequently asked questions and their answers.
What is an evaporative cooler?
An evaporative cooler is a cooling unit that sits on your roof and cools air through the evaporation of water. It is also a cost-effective method of cooling indoor spaces.
What are the benefits of having an evaporative cooler?
There are several benefits of having evaporative cooling in your home. These include:
- It is cost-effective. Evaporative cooling uses less water and less energy, therefore being cheaper to run.
- Provides better indoor air quality. As the air is not recirculated, you will have fresh air being pushed through your home every couple of minutes.
- Good in dry climates. Perfect for Canberra’s hot and dry summers.
- Easy to maintain. Evaporative cooling is easy to maintain as it only needs regular servicing.
Is it fresh or recirculated air going through my home?
An evaporative cooler circulates fresh air through your home. The cooler pushes fresh air through your home every couple of minutes.
What is draining down your evaporative cooler? How do I do it?
Draining down your evaporative cooler is the process of removing all water from the unit. This is done to prevent any pipes from freezing and causing damage to your cooler during winter.
Below are the steps to take to drain down your evaporative cooler:
- Turn off the water supply to the evaporative cooling unit.
- If possible – drain down your evaporative cooler. This depends on the type of unit that your home is equipped with and its installation. Near the unit’s water supply, there should be another tap which can be turned on (after you have turned the water supply off). This will drain down any remaining water from the pipe and unit.
If you do not have a drain down valve, it may be time to call a plumber to install one for you to prevent any potential issues throughout Winter.
How often should I have my evaporative cooler serviced?
We recommend having your evaporative cooler serviced annually at the start of the season to ensure that it is working at peak efficiency to keep your home cool throughout Summer.
How often should the cooling pads be replaced?
How often you replace the evaporative cooling pads depends on how often you use you cooler. It is, however recommended that you replace the cooling pads every 5 years. This, combined with annual servicing, will help your evaporative cooler to work at optimum efficiency.
How many windows or doors do I need to have open for my evaporative cooler to work efficiently?
It is recommended to keep as many doors and windows open as possible throughout your home to allow for proper ventilation to occur. This will also help to prevent any of your belongings becoming damp because of the moisture in the air.
My evaporative cooler isn’t working properly, what should I do?
If you feel that your evaporative cooler is not working as well as it should be, then it may be time to give an evaporative cooling specialist a call. They will be able to answer any questions that you may have as well as advise you on the best course of action.
Why is water coming out of my evaporative cooler?
There are a few reasons as to why water may be coming out of your evaporative cooler.
- If your evaporative cooler has a constant bleed system, there will be a constant flow of water whilst the cooler’s pump is running.
- Water overflow due to levels needing to be reset.
- If your evaporative cooler has a dump style drain valve, the water will be dumped every 6-12 hours (depending on what your coolers setting is) and then again after it has been turned off. This controls the quality of the water that is being used.
- Your evaporative cooler may have a leak.
If you have any concerns in regards to your evaporative cooler, you should call an experienced evaporative cooling technician. They will be able to assist you with anything related to your evaporative cooler.
Do you have any questions in regards to your evaporative cooler? Would you like to have an evaporative cooler installed in your home or have your existing one replaced? Are you after an evaporative cooling service? Is your evaporative cooler not working as well as it should be? Canberra Plumbing and Drains is here to help with any of your evaporative cooling needs. Call our team on 0474 488 899 to book in your appointment today!