We all know how important it is to have your hot water working efficiently, but we don’t realise how much it is a part of our lives until our hot water system has an issue. It is needed for the majority of our everyday tasks – from having a shower, to washing the dishes – hot water is an essential part of our lives!
A leaking hot water system is not something that should be ignored, or put off until ‘later’. You should take action as soon as you notice a leak – a small problem now can quickly turn into a larger one later on.
Where is the Leak Coming From?
There are a few places on your hot water system to check for a leak:
- A leak may be coming from any of the valves on your unit. This includes the pressure relief valve as well as the temperature relief valve. It is normal for both of these valves to let out small amounts of water occasionally, however it should not be continuous.
- The top or the bottom of the unit.
- Any of the pipes connected to your hot water system.
- The pipe joints.
You should check your hot water system regularly to ensure that there are no leaks, even if you don’t have any symptoms of it. This will help to catch any problems early and prevent large and costly damaging from occurring.
Why is my Hot Water System Leaking?
There are several reasons as to why your hot water system can be leaking. These include:
- The age of the unit.
- The unit may be damaged.
- Fittings may be loose.
- Harsh weather has caused damage to the fittings, the pipes, or the unit.
- High water pressure may also cause your hot water system to leak. Installing a pressure reduction valve (if your home does not already have one) may help to reduce the risk of a leak occurring – not only on your hot water system, but also throughout your home.
My Hot Water System is Leaking, What Should I Do?
If you have found a leak on your hot water system, there are a few steps you can take to help prevent further damage.
- Identify where the leak is located. This information will not only help you, but also the plumber that comes out to fix it for you.
- Turn off the water to the system.
- Consider your options. It is recommended that you call an expert to attend to any issues your hot water system may be having – a quick fix may feel like it is the easiest option at this time but it could lead to a larger, costlier problem.
- Call a qualified plumber to inspect the leak and provide a permanent solution to the issue.
Is your hot water system leaking? Have you noticed that your hot water isn’t working as it should be? If you have, it may be time to give Canberra Plumbing and Drains a call. call our friendly team on 0474 488 899 to book in your hot water system appointment with one of our highly skilled technicians today!